Dept acts on ambulance sex claim

2010-09-16 14:13

Port Elizabeth - The Eastern Cape health department is taking action now on a rape complaint lodged against an ambulance driver in February this year.

Spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said on Thursday the complainant, a woman, reported the alleged attack to the department's call centre seven months ago.

However no action was taken, and instead she had been receiving anonymous calls warning her to drop the complaint.

Kupelo said the office of MEC Phumulo Masualle heard about it this week, and immediately took it up.

The woman had been accompanying her sick child in an ambulance from Grahamstown to Port Elizabeth when the alleged rape occurred.

The woman had told the call centre the driver stopped the vehicle and raped her. She had also laid a complaint with police.