Dept compensates brain-damaged boy
Johannesburg - A child who was brain-damaged through the negligence of staff at an East Rand hospital has been paid his first compensatory instalment, the Gauteng health department said on Tuesday.
"The South Gauteng High Court has ruled that [Prince Sibusiso] Khanyi be paid R9.25m and it was agreed that the amount be paid in three instalments," said spokesperson Simon Zwane in a statement.
The first instalment of R3.4m had been paid, he said. Two more payouts were expected in the coming months.
In October, a sheriff of the court attached R1m worth of office equipment from Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane's office because the child's claim had not been paid.
Last month, another attempt was made to recoup the money by a sheriff of the court, after the state's attorneys allegedly failed to apply in time for an appeal to the high court's ruling.
Khanyi, who was born in December 1999, lives with cerebral palsy as a result of the hospital's negligence.
Zwane said the payment "reflects a willingness of the provincial government to bring relief to the affected families and to assist them to reach closure".
The department viewed staff negligence seriously and had dismissed two doctors and a nurse in the past two years.
In a separate case, the department also settled the compensation claim of a man whose leg was erroneously amputated at Steve Biko Academic Hospital, in Pretoria.
"Last week, the department paid out R6.3m in relation to the claim brought by Mr Shabbier Nagel," Zwane said.
Nagel had been admitted to hospital for a heart condition.
The sheriff of the court visited Mokonyane's office again a week ago, where an agreement was reached that Nagel would receive the payment soon.