Drug mule overdoses, dies in custody
Johannesburg - An Ecuadorian drug mule who entered South Africa with capsules of liquid cocaine in his stomach, died in hospital of an overdose-induced heart attack, police said on Tuesday.
Police arrested the 48-year-old man at the OR Tambo Airport on Christmas Day, and took him to a nearby hospital after an x-ray picked up foreign material in his stomach.
"The close check by the police yielded results when during excretion he let off plastic containers that had liquid cocaine.
"Yesterday, January 2, the man collapsed and later passed away," said a police statement.
"Current diagnosis indicate a heart attack due to drug overdose. The value of the cocaine will be determined in due course."
The man was carrying papers showing he was a citizen of Ecuador, the police said.