News24

Eastern Cape accident probed

2012-09-12 18:50

Johannesburg - A case of culpable homicide was being investigated after two school children were mowed down by a truck in Uitenhage, Eastern Cape police said on Wednesday.

The two, from Ankervas Primary School, were killed when they were hit by a truck on Tuesday, spokesperson Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg said.

"A case of culpable homicide is being investigated. No one has been arrested or charged."

Bulelani Ndarhala and Siviwe Mbetshi, both 10, died on the scene, on Rockland Road.

Van Rensburg said according to the truck driver, the two ran in front of the vehicle. He did not have time to stop and could not swerve, as there were vehicles on one side of the road and more school children on the other.

The Democratic Alliance on Wednesday sent condolences to the school and the pupils' families.

"This is a wake-up call that attention should be given to safety on this road, which carries large volumes of traffic daily," said shadow MEC for roads and transport, Pine Pienaar.

Pienaar said school authorities had been sending requests to the municipality and the department since 2005 to have traffic-calming measures such as rumble-strips and speed bumps placed on the road, with no success.