News24

Eastern Cape faked death case delayed

2012-02-09 18:52

Johannesburg - The bail application of a former United States soldier accused of faking his own death was postponed by the Sterkspruit Magistrate's Court on Thursday, the NPA's Eastern Cape branch said.

"The matter could not be heard due to the unavailability of the magistrate. It was postponed to March 6 and 7," National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson Luxolo Tyali said.

The man faces charges of murder and fraud together with his South African wife, who was granted bail in December last year. The couple allegedly decided to fake the man's death after financial problems.

Tyali said that since the husband had a number of life insurance policies under his name in the US, they both allegedly tried to fake his death with the aim of being paid out.

In October last year, the husband allegedly set his car on fire in an open area. It was later found with the charred remains of a human body. Tyali said the wife allegedly told police the remains were her husband's.

She submitted claims for all the policies under her husband's estate. Some of these were paid out.

The State intended applying for the woman's bail to be revoked as it had been discovered she had lodged further insurance claims since her arrest.

The couple met in the US, where they were both soldiers, before resigning and moving to South Africa. Tyali would not provide their names.