Eastern Cape judge gets death threat
East London - An Eastern Cape judge presiding over a cash-in-transit heist trial in Mthatha has received a death threat, according to a media report on Wednesday.
Judge Colin White said in the Eastern Cape High Court in Mthatha on Monday that police had intercepted a death threat against him earlier in February, the Daily Dispatch reported.
"It is incumbent on the court to inform the accused of certain developments. The police have informed the court that they have intercepted a death threat against me," he said.
White said the police had informed him of the death threat on February 17 at his home in East London.
"They told me they are investigating the matter and will tell me about any further developments to the case."
The Dispatch reported that further details on the threat were not known and it could not be confirmed if the threat was related to the trial.
Provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Marinda Mills confirmed that precautions were in place to protect White.
"We are investigating the threats, but in the meantime security has been deployed to watch over the judge," she said.
White was retired for nine years before he was recalled to the Bench in 2011 to preside over the trial of Sakhumzi Mvoko, Odwa Sithole, Simthembile Zibi, Mthuthuzeli Sisilana and Bongani Same.
The charges against them include 11 counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances and four counts of attempted murder.
The judge said the death threat had no effect on
him. "It leaves me totally unmoved, and I have no reason to believe
that the threat emanates from any of the accused. I give you the assurance that the threat has played no role in my deliberations and consideration of the case."