Eastern Cape mud schools score victory
Johannesburg - An out of court settlement between the government and seven mud schools in the Eastern Cape is a significant victory, Equal Education said on Wednesday.
Spokesperson Dmitri Holtzman said the settlement provided a specific and binding agreement to which the government can be held to account.
National government had committed R8.2bn from April 1 this year to March 1 2014 to replace all inadequate structures at schools throughout the country.
R6.3bn would be allocated specifically to the Eastern Cape. From this, each of the seven schools had been allocated between R10m and R13m to replace inadequate structures and provide basic services during the 2011/2012 financial year.
The seven schools would also, in the meantime, be provided with mobile classrooms, water tanks and sufficient desks and chairs for their pupils.
The schools in the Libode district took government to court for failing to provide them with access to basic resources such as desks, chairs, water and safe classrooms.