Emergency move of Sebokeng families

2011-02-02 19:18

Johannesburg - Flooding in Sebokeng resulted in the emergency relocation of several families living in informal dwellings on Wednesday, the Emfuleni municipality said.

"We are attending to an emergency situation because they live in a wetland and their shacks were flooded as a result of the heavy rains," spokesperson Klaas Mofomme said.

About 30 families and their belongings were being moved to Zone 20 phase two.

He denied claims by the African People's Convention (APC) that shacks had been destroyed and families forcefully moved by the so-called "Red Ants".

"We hired the Red Ants to assist us to move their shacks and belongings to the new place that has been identified for them. We are not demolishing it," he said.

Earlier, APC Gauteng secretary Patrick Sindane said 100 shacks had been destroyed.

"As we speak they are destroying shacks and forcefully relocating people. After the floods, the Emfuleni municipality said they would relocate families to a safe place but they did not," he said.

Sindane claimed the new area had no water or sanitation facilities and had venomous snakes.

Mofomme said the municipality had not planned for the relocation as it was an emergency.

"There is no proper infrastructure in the new area. There are no water and sanitation facilities there right now, but we will provide it to them."

"As for allegations regarding snakes... who saw snakes there? If there were snakes we would not take people there," he said.