FF+ submits tollroads petition
Cape Town - The Freedom Front Plus submitted its petition against the proposed Gauteng tollgates to Parliament's petition committee on Friday.
The petition contained 105 000 audited signatures, with a total of 130 000 unaudited signatures, said FF+ spokesperson Anton Alberts.
The petition was also sent to Transport Minister S'bu Ndebele.
Alberts said this had been done once again "drive the severe opposition to the tollgate system home to him".
It appeared that the tollgate system would be activated in February.
Alberts said he had asked Ndebele last week whether the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) was sufficiently funded to survive financially if the tollgate system was not activated in February.
His reply was "evasive but significant" - someone had to pay for the structures.
The toll system would go ahead full speed and that was why the FF+, apart from submitting the petition to Parliament and Ndebele, had also started planning for mass action.
Those supporting this included the National Taxpayers Union (NTU) and the SA Caravan and Camping Federation (SACCF), to which the SA Caravan Association (SACA) was affiliated.