News24

FUL goes ahead with Mdluli application

2012-05-30 14:00

Johannesburg - Freedom Under Law (FUL) will go ahead with its court application for the suspension of former crime intelligence head Lieutenant General Richard Mdluli, a spokesperson said on Wednesday.

This is in spite of acting national police commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi announcing on Sunday that Mdluli had been suspended.

"FUL's application for the review and setting aside of the decisions to withdraw criminal and disciplinary charges against General Mdluli also continues," FUL said in a statement.

They would also invite Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa and Mkhwanazi to join their consent order.

Denial


FUL spokesperson Hugh Corder explained that this was because Mdluli had denied receiving the notice of suspension.

The New Age reported that Mdluli's lawyer Ike Motloung said he was not sure whether an e-mailed notice of suspension to himself - and not his client - qualified as notice.

Mdluli's lawyer was not immediately available to comment, but Corder explained that the minister and acting commissioner would be invited to consent to a court order that, if granted, would formally suspend Mdluli.

FUL did welcome the announcement that Mdluli was suspended.

On May 9 Mthethwa said Mdluli would be moved from crime intelligence to a position in the office of deputy national police commissioner for operations, Fannie Masemola.

Array of offences

On May 15 FUL filed for an urgent interdict to prevent Mdluli from serving in the police service.

FUL filed this application because they believe the move left Mdluli with the full authority of his rank "despite the serious allegations against him that he had committed an array of offences from murder and kidnapping to corruption and money-laundering".

On May 27 Mkhwanazi suspended him.

Last year, Mdluli faced fraud and corruption charges relating to alleged misuse of a secret crime intelligence fund to buy luxury vehicles, and hiring family members.

He also faced a murder charge for the death of his former lover's husband, Oupa Ramogibe.

All the charges were withdrawn and Mdluli was reinstated in March as head of crime intelligence, but Mthethwa then moved him.

Comments
  • ThinkingChick - 2012-05-30 14:23

    Really? It would better to go after Zuma, Mantashe et al for their blatant abuse of the constitutional rights we have in bullying City Press and the Goodman Gallery. No, at least the Goodman Gallery didn't bow to pressure. What are editors made of these days? Lol - I love this country.

      nhlanhla.ndlovu.10 - 2012-05-30 15:28

      Point of order,the topic under disussion is about the suspension of Richard Mdluli,not about Anc bullying City Press.

  • Mike Purchase - 2012-05-30 16:14

    Point of order a fish rots at the head first then goes down to the tail at the end.

  • Hans - 2012-05-30 16:31

    IT HAVE BEEN A WHILE SINCE THIS MATTER OF MDLULI HAVE BEEN GOING ON.IF ALL ALLIGATIONS ARE NOT TRUE LET JUSTICE PROVE THAT.I HAPPEN TO WATCH HIS INTERVIEW WITH SABC SOME WHERE AROUND THIS MONTH,I WAS DISAPPOINTED TO HOW CONFIDENT HE WAS SAYING THERE WERE PEOPLE PLOTTING AGAIST HIM.THIS WAS NOT THE POINT THE POINT WAS:ARE THE ALLIGATIONS TRUE OR NOT.HE SHOULD CONCENTRATE ON PROVING TO THE COURT AND SOUTH AFRICANS AS A WHOLE WHETHER THE ALLIGATIONS ARE LIGITIMATE OR NOT..

  • alansmartSnr - 2012-05-30 21:20

    Will never know why the anc do not treat corruption as a priority. Perhaps it's because it wil open a can -sorry, a bucket of worms, with which the top echolon may feel uncomfortable, and perhaps bring the house down. I note that it's very quite around the Commission of Inquiry's task to investigate this eh.. wotsisname..oh ja..Zuma's cut of the arms deal.

  • pages:
  • 1