Family injured in gas stove explosion

2010-11-15 21:12

Johannesburg - A family of four was injured when the gas cylinder they were cooking on exploded in Athlone on Monda, paramedics said.

"The mother, a 69-year-old lady, was cooking dinner in her home in Athlone, when she noticed that the gas cylinder was leaking, ER24 spokesperson Andre Visser said.

"Somehow the leaked gas ignited allegedly causing some sort of explosion."

The mother sustained serious burns to a large percentage of her body, he said. Paramedics stabilised her on the scene before transporting her to hospital.

The other three family members had minor injuries and were also taken to hospital.