News24

Father hopes for abducted son's release

2012-01-27 17:50

Johannesburg - The father of a South African man abducted in Mali in November is still hopeful that his son will be released, he said on Friday.

"We still hope he will come home, but we have heard nothing since his photo appeared in a foreign newspaper."

The photograph of the 36-year-old - who cannot be named as this could jeopardise future dealings with the kidnappers - was delivered to the Mali government by the North African branch of al-Qaeda.

The terrorist group sent the picture in December to indicate he was still alive and to support their claim of responsibility for the kidnapping.

The man's father said the family was trying to push for "more action from the [South African] government" to bring his son to safety.

The South African was one of three tourists abducted by gunmen from a restaurant in Timbuktu.

The other two tourists were Swedish and Dutch, the Associated Press reported at the time.

A German, who refused to co-operate when the men tried to force them into a truck, was executed.

They were reported missing on November 25.

International relations spokesperson Clayson Monyela said there had been no new developments in the case, although the South African embassy had engaged the Mali authorities trying to locate the man.


Comments
  • Shirley - 2012-01-27 18:10

    This must be heartwrenching for this poor family! Why are there such evil monsters in the world who would take a person who has NOTHING to do with their "cause". I pray for his safe return and peace to the family.

  • Penny - 2012-01-27 19:48

    Praying for a safe return and wish the same for the couple from KZN still held hostage by pirates

  • pages:
  • 1