News24

Fire at Johannesburg old age home

2012-04-01 07:41

Johannesburg - An elderly man sustained burn injuries when his room at an old age home in Turfontein caught fire on Saturday night, Johannesburg emergency services said.

It is believed the man was sleeping in his room at the Moffart View old age home when the fire started at around 22:00, said spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi.

Firefighters had to break the door to save him, said Mulaudzi. He sustained burns to his hands and was taken to the Baragwanath Hospital.

A candle is believed to have been the cause of the fire.

Comments
  • modisej1 - 2012-04-01 07:48

    thanks god he is alive.

  • bluzulu - 2012-04-01 07:55

    Interesting to find the % stats on how many fires are caused by a simple candle.

      Kim - 2012-04-01 14:55

      ..... and how many of those which are directly linked to power outages!!

  • marumobongani - 2012-04-01 08:40

    agh shame the oldman was trying to save energy get well oldman wish you a speedy recovery

  • Ricky Naidoo - 2012-04-01 12:21

    Leave race and politics out of this, why is this old man even at a old age home? Shouldn't his family be taking care of him? People these days have no love for their parents who brought them into this world. Wishing the old man a speedy recovery

  • pages:
  • 1