Firecracker didn't kill man - post-mortem
Durban - A post-mortem has revealed that a Nongoma man was not killed by a firecracker as his mother had initially claimed.
“The body of Snooty Nsele, 24, was exhumed on Tuesday and the post-mortem revealed that he was killed by a blunt object,” said Lieutenant Colonel Thembeka Mbhele.
Nsele’s body was exhumed in Nongoma after it emerged his mother, Mantombi Nsele, 66, allegedly lied about the cause of his death.
She told police her son was struck by firecrackers.
“On Christmas day, two brothers, Mduduzi, 26, and Snooty, were playing music and lighting firecrackers at their Nongoma home when a fight broke out,” said Mbhele.
Mduduzi allegedly struck his brother on the head with a radio speaker.
The mother allegedly lied to the police to protect her son from being arrested. A funeral for the boy was hastily organised. Police were alerted by mourners who said the fatal wound did not look it had been inflicted by a firecracker.
Mduduzi and Mantombi were granted bail of R1 000 each by the Nongoma Magistrate's Court on Monday.