Food poisoning at Byletts School
East London - Ambulances were bringing 67 children with suspected food poisoning from Chintsa to medical facilities in East London on Saturday afternoon, Eastern Cape health authorities said.
"The children are all pupils at Byletts School," department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.
The boarding school called the health department on Saturday when an abnormal number of children started suffering acute diarrhoea.
They were being taken to Frere Hospital, Cecilia Makhwane Hospital and Gompo Community Health Centre in East London.
"The staff are on stand-by to admit the children," Kupelo said.
He explained that food poisoning was a problem at schools in remote areas of the Eastern Cape where hygiene and proper food preparation procedures were sometimes neglected.
In recent months there were three incidents where provincial health authorities had to fetch nearly 1000 children from rural villages all with suspected food poisoning.