News24

Fraudster medic's sentencing on hold

2012-03-28 22:13

Johannesburg - The sentencing of a physiotherapist convicted of defrauding the labour department was postponed on Wednesday by the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crime Court, the department said.

Jury Sehunoe, based in Rustenburg, was found guilty of defrauding the department's Compensation Fund of more than R5m last year. He was to have been sentenced on Wednesday.

Compensation fund anti-fraud unit head Twana Makhubela said the case had been postponed until July 3.

This was done to allow for the presentation of heads of arguments, a probation officer's report and argument in mitigation of sentence.

"The postponement would also allow for the conclusion of the Organised Crimes Act process," Makhubela said.

In February, the Assets Forfeiture Unit (AFU) seized assets worth R2.1m from Sehunoe.

Sehunoe pleaded guilty to 15 counts of fraud and 26 counts of money laundering in October.

His co-defendants Maxwell Ramaphosa and Samuel Mfeleng are former civil servants who previously worked for the fund.

Their trials have been separated.

Ramaphosa and Mfeleng will be tried in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court. They have not pleaded.

The three men allegedly made payments from the fund for work that had not been performed.

The fund provides compensation for workers who are injured and suffer from diseases contracted during their employment. It also covers people who die from such injuries or diseases.