Gas leak at building for 2nd consecutive day
Johannesburg - Six people were treated for gas inhalation at a building at Epping, in Industria, on Tuesday, the second gas leak there in as many days, paramedics said.
"Emergency workers were surprised to hear that they would be responding to the same address where yesterday's (Monday's) drama took place and again for a gas leak," ER24 spokesperson Andre Visser said in a statement.
"A number of workers started showing symptoms of eye irritation, headache, nausea and vomiting after noticing a smell of an unknown gas in the building.
"Panic erupted and emergency services were activated immediately to attend to the situation."
The fire department was also called out, "expecting the worst after yesterday (Monday)", when more than 100 people were evacuated from the Wella factory after a gas leak.
"When ER24 paramedics arrived at the scene they could see that it was an isolated case and not a mass evacuation like the previous day," said Visser.
"After investigating the situation, the paramedics found that the panic had started at a nearby packing facility and storeroom.
"A total of six workers were treated at the scene and taken to a nearby private hospital for gas inhalation."