News24

Gas leak in Randburg CBD

2012-04-13 10:59

Johannesburg - Paramedics, firefighters and Hazmat teams have rushed to the scene of an apparent gas leak at a building in the Randburg CBD.

According to Netcare911, nearly 1 000 people have been evacuated from JDG Financial Services.

"Eight people, five in a serious condition, were treated at the scene," said Netcare911 spokesperson Jeffrey Wicks.

"They were moved to a medical station away from the building. The injured displayed symptoms of respiratory distress."

The gas is believed to have circulated through the building in the ventilation system, he added.

Wicks told News24 he could not say what kind of gas it was.

An emergency call was placed to Netcare911's emergency number.

More to follow.

- Are you there? Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos.

Comments
  • brionyl.french - 2012-04-13 11:06

    I hope they sort this out otherwise one match and the whole place is gone... make sure no one smokes

      CharlesDumbwin - 2012-04-13 11:26

      Sipho the rescue technician says, 'eish, what's this gas thing? It's all rubbish by imperials to scare us. Somebody give me a Rothmans.'

  • MornĂ© - 2012-04-13 11:15

    Hope all is well and recover,

      Althea - 2012-04-13 11:34

      Arri Warri Maatjie

  • Sean Wright - 2012-04-13 11:17

    gas is terrible

  • Marion - 2012-04-13 11:21

    Hope they recover soon. We have Egoli gas at home and I dread the day we may have a major leak.

  • bryan.ashley.porter - 2012-04-13 11:22

    Which building?

      Monty - 2012-04-13 11:35

      Joshua Doore Group on kent avenue, ferndale. Its a callcentre.

  • Eric - 2012-04-13 12:34

    In all the older areas there are Metahne gas pipes running underground. In the Cape it was fed from Cape Gas to Sea Point, Woodstock, Wynberg etc. Cape Gas is now closed but the gas lays dormant until the pipes are exposed. If in an open area the gas disapears quickly but in a closed area one can get quite sick. There is also the possibility of an explosion. This same type of Gas seeps into underground chambers that is near Grave yeards due to decaying bodies.This may be what is happening in Randburg. If it is LP gas then of course this lays on the ground until disturbed. Light a match and the roof will blow off. Not a nice situation at all.

  • heather.scheepers3 - 2012-04-13 12:42

    Please do not light a smoke there it will go boooooom.

  • Hallo - 2012-04-13 12:44

    Top story sensationalist headline and all. No updates for almost 2 hours? Useless journos.

  • Joan - 2012-04-13 12:48

    Interesting. JDG owns Blake & Associates whose premises were partially destroyed by fire in the SARS Mount Edgecombe building recently. Could someone have it in for the group?

  • Raj - 2012-04-13 21:46

    In trying times, everyone is a bread winner, THANK GOD, matters could have been worse. No fatalities were reported. When one leaves home, you never know if they would return safely.

  • pages:
  • 1