Gauteng gets interdict against strikers
Johannesburg - The Gauteng provincial government was granted an interdict by the labour court on Friday to stop striking public servants from intimidating health workers.
"The court ordered government employees who are on strike to immediately refrain from intimidating, harassing or interfering with other employees and management from continuing with their work," the office of Premier Nomvula Mokonyane said in a statement.
The interdict also ordered workers to refrain from blocking entrances and exits to health and social development facilities in the province.
"This follows acts of intimidation at various public hospitals and schools," said the statement.
Some protesters "invaded Sebokeng, Helen Joseph, Natalspruit, Charlotte Maxeke and Kalafong hospitals and forced nurses and support staff to join the industrial action, leading to disruption of services", the statement added.
While the government recognised the right to strike, it condemned "in the strongest possible terms" acts of violence and intimidation.
The premier's office said contingency plans had been put in place at public institutions, including the deployment of SA National Defence Force members at some hospitals.
"The Gauteng provincial government is heartened by the high number of volunteers who have offered their services to hospitals and other public health care facilities during the strike action.
"Security has been tightened at all hospitals to protect the public and the workers who are not taking part in the strike action.
"The Gauteng provincial government will do everything within its powers to ensure continued provision of health care services in all public health institutions," the statement read.
Have you been affected by the strikes? If so, send us your story or pictures.