Gautrain bus shooter posed as commuter
Johannesburg - A Gautrain bus operating on the Midrand route was shot at on Friday afternoon, police said.
Spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said this happened at about 14:00 when the driver stopped for someone he believed was a passenger.
"When the bus stopped, the man fired a shot into the direction of the bus and ran away. No one was injured and police are searching the area for the shooter."
Eyewitness News reported the police were investigating a charge of attempted murder.
The bus driver and a fellow Gautrain employee were the only people on the bus. Bombela Concession Company spokesperson Errol Braithwaite said the bus was slightly damaged.
"This is of great concern to us and we call on authorities to find those behind the shooting," Braithwaite said.
"We view the shooting in a very serious light. We appeal to the police to apply the law and to prevent intimidation like this from taking place."
In January, drivers went on strike because they wanted MegaExpress, the Gautrain bus operating company, to provide them with transport from their homes to their place of work every day.
The company fired over 300 drivers in February as a result of the strike. Out of the nine bus routes available, four had been reopened since the strike.