Govt 'offer' misleading - unions

2010-08-24 09:09
Johannesburg - Trade unions reacted angrily on Tuesday to the government's claim that it had made a new wage offer to public servants as they entered the seventh day of a national strike.

"That is not a new offer from the government. Its offer is still 7%. The government is just misleading the public," said SA Democratic Teachers Union deputy general secretary Nkosana Dolopi.

Government spokesperson Themba Maseko said on Monday that there was only one tenth of a percentage difference between the unions' demands and the state's offer.

He said the government was "in real terms" offering an 8.5% increase, while the unions were demanding an 8.6% hike.

Maseko said additional to a 7% increase, there was a 1.5% pay progression, which came to a total of 8.5%.

Unionists slammed his statement as "mischievous".

"The question of the pay progression has always been there... a collective agreement on the pay progression was signed in 2003," said Dolopi.

Government 'misleading'

He said the pay progression was performance-related, and pointed out that teachers only qualified for a 1% pay progression.

"That is something we need to correct as well," said Dolopi.

The 210 000-strong Public Servants Association (PSA) issued a statement last week warning the public that the government was trying to mislead people by claiming to have added pay progression to its offer.

"The PSA has noted with extreme concern this distribution of incorrect information by the ministry for public service and administration," said spokesperson Manie de Clercq.

He said the pay progression was a "notch increment" for deserving workers.

"Employees who qualify for this increment are therefore entitled to receive it, irrespective of what the annual general increase for public servants will be for 2010," said De Clercq.

'1.5%  always on table'

"The ministry is clearly grasping at straws and is seeking to artificially inflate its meagre offer, which has driven its entire workforce to strike action."

Maseko acknowledged on Monday that the 1.5%"was always on the table", but there had been a "delay in highlighting this fact", and the government now wanted to make this clear to both the public and workers.

Some 1.3 million public workers went on strike on Wednesday to demand an 8.6% hike and R1 000 a month housing allowance, compared to the government's offer of 7% and R700.

The strike has become violent at times, and dozens of protesters have been arrested for public violence. There have also been severe service disruptions at schools and hospitals.

Read more on:    sadtu  |  psa  |  health  |  strikes

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Autobraking: See just how good they are!

Just how good are automatic brakes on cars these days? Two VW models have been praised by top UK research centre Thatcham. Find out why...

 

Stay safe

Pro's and con's of accredited driver-training
Juvenile pillion riders? Play safe...
Need a family ride? SA's top Mommy Cars
Mom's driving-school dream come true
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a tendency to idealise and prepare for the future rather than face the present. Right now life is putting challenges in...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.