Govt verifying SA man's death in Phuket
Pietermaritzburg - The international relations department could not confirm on Tuesday if a South African man missing in Thailand was dead.
Thai authorities were still busy with the verification process, spokesperson Clayson Monyela said.
The Witness reported on Monday that Mark Robson's parents had been told by Thai authorities that their 27-year-old son's body had been found. He was reportedly found on a deserted beach on Phuket island.
Merneen and Keith Robson became concerned when Mark failed to catch a flight to Taipei earlier this month, where he was due to begin teaching English, the Witness reported.
They got in touch with Phuket Tourist Police Foreign Volunteers group leader, Frank Tomenson, who sent a photo of Mark to media outlets in the area.
The Phuket Gazette's news editor said there was a resemblance between Mark and images of a body that had been recovered at Freedom Beach in January, according to the newspaper report.
Police found the man, who had been strangled and was in a seated position, on January 25, two days after Mark last used an ATM.