Hani killer to be freed - claim

2010-09-11 10:04

Johannesburg - A final decision on the parole application of Clive Derby-Lewis, the man who orchestrated the murder of struggle hero Chris Hani, will be made next month, it has been reported.

Sources close to Derby-Lewis told The Saturday Star that the Pretoria Prison parole board has recommended for a second time that he be freed.

Recommendations on the matter had already been made to the National Council on Correctional Services by the Pretoria Prison parole board, correctional services department spokesperson Sonwabo Mbananga was quoted as confirming.

"The parole board has completed [its] task of advising the council on whether to give Derby-Lewis parole."

The recommendations would be considered before the minister was advised.

Mbananga said a final decision on the matter would be taken next month, but added that it was "malicious" of anyone to say parole for Derby-Lewis had been approved.

Derby-Lewis was sentenced to death, but the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment when the death sentence was abolished. He has served 15 years of the life sentence.

His last application for parole was dismissed by the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria in March last year.