Hate speech complaint laid against Zuma's son

2015-04-02 13:01
Edward Zuma (The Witness)

Edward Zuma (The Witness)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) confirmed on Thursday that it had received a complaint of hate speech against President Jacob Zuma’s son, Edward Zuma.

“I can confirm that the commission has received a complaint following the alleged utterances made by President Jacob Zuma’s son,"  SAHRC spokesperson Isaac Mangena said.

"We are in the process of confirming those utterances."

Zuma junior has been widely criticised for supporting King Goodwill Zwelithini's controversial call to deport foreigners from South Africa.

Ticking time bomb

Zuma told News24 that he feared that South Africa was sitting on a ticking time bomb of foreigners taking over the country.

“The reason why I am saying that is because some of the foreigners are working for private security companies, where they have been employed for cheap labour.

These companies are running away from complying with South African labour laws,” said the president’s eldest son.

His comments come two weeks after Zwelithini shared his sentiments on foreigners at a moral regeneration rally in Pongola, northern KwaZulu-Natal.

The Zulu king was quoted as saying: “We urge all foreigners to pack their bags and leave.”

Zwelithini’s comments are being investigated by the SAHRC. The investigation is on-going.

Hate speech

Mangena said the complainant believed that Zuma’s comments bordered on hate speech.

“The complainant also believes that the comments are xenophobic. We are again warning leaders to refrain from making such statements,” said Mangena.

He said foreigners had every right to be in the country, provided they had the required documentation.

“It is our duty to protect and accommodate them. They have a right to live and work here and contribute to the economy,” said Mangena.

The Provincial Executive Council on Thursday issued a statement condemning attacks on foreigners in KwaZulu-Natal.

It was reported earlier this week that foreigners had fled their homes in Isipingo, south of Durban.

The attack was reportedly fuelled by the king’s comments. It was reported that locals claimed that they were acting on Zwelithini’s instructions.

Attacks condemned

Royal Household Trust chairperson Judge Jerome Ngwenya said the king condemned the attacks.

“He is shocked at the lawlessness happening there, and opportunists that are now taking advantage of his comments that have been misinterpreted,” said Ngwenya.

He urged police to continue investigating those behind the attacks.

“People must stop attacking foreigners and hiding behind the king’s name,” added Ngwenya.

The KwaZulu-Natal’s provincial executive committee (PEC) issued a statement on Thursday condemning the attacks and calling for calm in the province.

“The PEC calls upon the citizens of KwaZulu-Natal to desist from acts of violence against fellow human beings. It further calls for open dialogue and active participation by all citizens to finding solutions to our development challenges,” said PEC chair Senzo Mchunu.

 “We are dealing with issues around illegal immigrants, particularly those involved in criminal activities. We will continue to confront development challenges that lead to a sense of social exclusion, poverty and vulnerability of women and children in instances of such violence.”

The African Diaspora Forum, which lodged a complaint of hate speech against the Zulu king with the SAHRC, said it was still waiting for a response from the body. The forum will hold a meeting on Friday to discuss what can be done in response to Zwelithini and Zuma’s comments.

Read more on:    sahrc  |  edward zuma  |  durban  |  xenophobia  |  hate speech

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.