News24

Hearing of SABC news head continues

2012-07-21 15:36

Johannesburg - The disciplinary hearing of SABC news head, Phil Molefe was set to continue on Saturday, the national broadcaster's spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said.

It's unclear how things panned out when Molefe's hearing begun late on Friday afternoon.

"I cannot divulge the proceedings of the hearing until it is concluded," Kganyago said.

Molefe was placed on special leave on April 10. At the time Kganyago said the leave was a human resources policy matter, and had nothing to do with his alleged political allegiances.

At the time Molefe denied he had been placed on leave because of his political affiliations.

The Sowetan reported on Friday that Molefe was facing charges involving the alleged undermining of group CEO Lulama Mokhobo, and leaking information to the press.

Unnamed sources told the newspaper Molefe was denying both charges.

Former SABC chief executive Dali Mpofu would reportedly represent Molefe at the hearing.

Mpofu defended former ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema against his expulsion from the party earlier this year.

When the announcement about Molefe's leave was made, the ANCYL claimed the SABC was targeting him because he had given Malema "too much airtime".