Help at hand for gogo

2015-07-14 06:42
Alice Morrison visited 101-year-old Victoria Ntuli at her home in Cinderella Park yesterday.

Alice Morrison visited 101-year-old Victoria Ntuli at her home in Cinderella Park yesterday. (Jonathan Burton )

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - A student has taken up the challenge to help the ­101-year-old woman whose house was destroyed in a fire last week.

Alice Morrison, a masters student at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, has set up a website to help raise funds for ­Victoria Ntuli of Cinderella Park near Eastwood.

Ntuli lost large parts of her home in a blaze sparked by an electrical fault.

Ntuli’s house was burned down on last Monday, a day after her children had organised a birthday party to celebrate her 101st birthday.

Only one room of the house remains, which is used as a kitchen, living room and bedroom.

She also shares it with her grand-children and great-grand-children.

Morrison, 29, has already raised more than R2 000 in donations in the past six days. She hopes to raise R12 000 in 20 days.

People, from as far away as Ireland and England have made donations. Others have come from Pietermaritzburg, ­Durban and Grahamstown.

“I think that if you can help, help,” she told The Witness when asked why she had decided to get involved.

She visited Ntuli’s home on Monday to see the damage and to find out what Ntuli needed the most.

“I decided to begin an online fund-raising campaign to see if I could raise some money to help her rebuild her home.

“I wanted to help as I like to help. I also helped with finding food and shelter for those affected by the recent xenophobia attacks,” she said.

Morrison said the amount of money she is able to raise will decide what kind of help she will be able to offer Ntuli.

Since the fire, Ntuli has been without electricity. She has relied on a paraffin stove that is creating toxic fumes.

Her children who lived in the part of the house that was damaged are still living with relatives.

“We lost everything. Clothes, ID books and birth certificates are all gone. We also do not have electricity,” said Ntuli, adding some of her grandchildren who shared the one room with her were fearful that the one-room brick house will collapse on them after they noticed cracks in the walls.

“I simply do not have the resources to rebuild. I would take any help I get.

“You cannot dictate to someone who is helping you and what they should give you because they are just helping you,” she continued.

“If someone decides to give me food or anything I would be happy with that,” she said.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  fires  |  good news

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.