News24

Henning accused Monye seeks bail

2012-03-29 14:34

Pretoria - Former Nigerian athlete Ambrose Monye wants to apply for bail, the Pretoria Magistrate's Court heard on Thursday.

Monye, 37, is accused of involvement in the murder of a Pretoria mother Chanelle Henning.

The bail application has been set down for three days from April 24.

In January, Monye postponed his bail application as his lawyers said they could not find a witness to attest to his address.

Prosecutor Andrea Johnson told the court on Thursday that Monye's address had since been verified.

Court appearance


Monye and his co-accused Andre Gouws, 47 and Preshan Singh, 24, appeared in court on Thursday.

Two more co-accused, Willem Martin Pieterse and former Pretoria police detective Gerhardus du Plessis, 34, are already serving 18-year jail sentences for their roles in the murder. They entered into a plea bargain with the prosecution.

Apart from pleading guilty to murder, they also pleaded guilty to possession of an unlicensed firearm and illegal possession of ammunition for which they were sentenced to five and three years respectively.

On Thursday, the prosecution revealed that Singh, who was released on bail of R5 000, had also entered into plea bargain negotiations.

He would appear again in court on May 3 with Gouws, who was denied bail earlier this month.

A retired police officer, Gouws was a close friend of Chanelle's estranged, multi-millionaire husband Nico Henning.

In an affidavit motivating his bail application in December, Singh said he supplied the revolver used in the murder of the assistant school teacher.

He said he had handed the gun to his friend and workmate, Pieterse, who had asked to use the firearm in November 2011.

Drive-by shooting


Henning was killed on November 8 in a drive-by shooting moments after dropping off her child at a nursery school in Faerie Glen, east of Pretoria.

Testifying in February, cellphone forensic analyst Francois Moller said there had been 55 calls between Monye and Gouws, who is accused of arranging Henning's murder.

Monye made another 34 calls which Gouws ignored. Gouws phoned Monye 26 times before the day of Henning's murder.

Moller also testified that all records on Gouws's handset detailing calls between him and Nico Henning prior to the murder had been deleted. Calls to Monye had also been deleted but cellphone records showed the deleted call records.

Nico Henning reported his phone stolen on the day of the murder and had used a second number, said Moller.

Comments
  • Herbert - 2012-03-29 15:20

    Bail ? What about permanent residence and a government post!!!

      Rob - 2012-03-29 15:28

      LOL. Herbert. Yes, brilliant !

  • Shirley - 2012-03-29 15:47

    You are not in Nigeria now! NO bail! Wonder how much you paid the witness to attest your address????

  • pages:
  • 1