Henry Okah's bail appeal dismissed
Johannesburg - Nigerian terror accused Henry Okah's appeal against a decision to deny him bail was dismissed by a Randburg court on Friday, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said.
"The judge was of the view that there was no sufficient reasons justifying interference with the magistrate's decision," spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said.
"He [the judge] also alluded to the fact that he was convinced that there was a prima facie case against the accused [Okah] and found no exceptional circumstances."
Mhaga said the NPA was confident that even if the ruling was taken to the Supreme Court of Appeal it would be dismissed and the court would rule in the NPA's favour.
"I can also confirm that investigations are still under way and we are in constant engagement with the relevant law enforcement in Nigeria in view of the matter that a crime has been committed there," he said.
Okah was denied bail in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court late last year.
He faces charges of terrorism, relating to the October 1 twin car bombing in Abuja, Nigeria which killed 12 people and injured 36.
Okah failed to convince the court that he was not the leader of the Movement for the emancipation of Niger Delta (Mend), which claimed responsibility for the Independence Day bombings.
His brother Charles and three others were also denied bail in a Nigerian court.
The four were also charged for allegedly kidnapping four Indian, three French and two Russian oil workers between August and October last year.
Okah is in custody in Johannesburg Prison.