News24

Hlophe challenge to continue

2010-04-29 09:20

Johannesburg - Legal advocacy group Freedom Under Law (FUL) will go ahead with its challenge against a Judicial Service Commission (JSC) decision not to probe gross misconduct claims against Judge John Hlophe.

Former judge Johann Kriegler, who heads FUL, told Business Day newspaper in a report on Thursday that the case would proceed.

A court date of August 19 and 20 had been agreed upon, but must still be confirmed by the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria.

DA case

Kriegler's challenge is separate from Democratic Alliance leader Helen Zille's court case against Hlophe.

The Western Cape High Court last week found that the JSC proceedings, when it dismissed a complaint of gross misconduct against Hlophe, were "unconstitutional and invalid".

The JSC had said it would meet soon to consider the court ruling.

The charge against Hlophe came from the judges of the Constitutional Court, who accused him of trying to influence a ruling they were about to make on President Jacob Zuma.