Hoax calls lands man in court

2010-10-11 19:39

Cape Town - A Plattekloof Glen man, who allegedly falsely informed police that he had been an armed robbery victim, is expected to go on trial next month on a charge of defeating the ends of justice.

Paul Marais, 37, who also faced a charge of drunken driving, made his second appearance in the Bellville Regional Court on Monday.

Marais said under oath in a false statement to the police in July that he had been the victim of an armed robbery. A case docket was opened and a full police investigation ensued, the charge sheet said.

The drunken driving charge stems from an incident in Vasco Boulevard, Goodwood, on June 23, three years ago.

Magistrate Amrith Chabillal warned him to appear in court again on November 25.