Hospital rape suspects suspended
Bloemfontein - Two staff members at the National Hospital in Bloemfontein have been suspended, after a terminally ill woman was allegedly raped by a male nurse, Free State health MEC Fezi Ngubentombi said on Tuesday.
“The two staff members alleged to have committed the crime have been requested not to report for duty until the investigation has been concluded.”
Ngubentombi expressed shock at the alleged incident.
Free State police said they were investigating allegations that a cancer patient was raped by a male nurse at the hospital.
Spokesperson Captain Harry Nagel said the 50-year-old woman's husband told police the attack happened on October 15.
According to the TimesLive, management of the hospital did not report the incident to the police even though the patient informed the matron on duty just after it happened.
According to the woman, a female nurse held her down while a male nurse raped her.
"There are two suspects, but no one has been arrested yet. We are waiting for a decision from the director of public prosecutions," said Nagel.
A police spokesperson said the woman was too ill to attend an ID parade but would be shown photographs in an attempt to identify her attackers, the TimesLive reported.
The woman had been transferred to a private hospital in Bloemfontein and a case of rape opened.
Ngubentombi said if the allegations proved to be true those responsible should be severely punished.
“When sick people come to our institutions, they must be treated with care and compassion.”
Ngubentombi said she had received a preliminary report and ordered a thorough internal investigation.
The department had met with the family and made available the services of a social worker.
Ngubentombi said the police had already taken statements at the hospital as part of their investigation.