News24

Hummer trial to start in June

2012-02-21 16:54

Pretoria - A 31-year-old Zambian who allegedly ran over and killed two motorcyclists with a Hummer will stand trial in June, the Pretoria North Regional Court ruled on Tuesday.

Magistrate Ben van der Walt ordered Indi Chiyabu, who faces two charges of culpable homicide, to stand trial on June 12 in the same court.

Motorcyclists Johannes Kruger and Pieter Coetzee were killed when a Hummer allegedly driven by Chiyabu ploughed into them on Rachel de Beer Road in Pretoria on October 16 2010.

It was reported at the time that the Hummer was stolen.

Two motorcycles and the Hummer caught fire. Coetzee and Kruger died at the scene. Chiyabu allegedly fled. Coetzee's son, also called Pieter, lost his leg in the accident.

Chiyabu is out on a warning.

Prosecutor Tania Carstens said the State intended to call three or four witnesses.

Chiyabu's lawyer Rudolph Mogashoa said his client did not dispute that the two men had been killed by the Hummer.

Comments
  • John - 2012-02-21 17:01

    "lawyer Rudolph Mogashoa said ....Two men had been killed by the Hummer...." I knew that was the problem of the Hummer.

      Joao - 2012-02-22 10:15

      @John Yes, you are so right ... makes me wonder what they are charging the Hummer with?

  • LN - 2012-02-21 18:09

    How can he be out on a warning?

  • Tuner - 2012-02-21 18:13

    His trial will take place exactly two, yes, 2 years after the incident! And he is released with a warning after killing the riders with a stolen vehicle! No wonder he is not bothered to run back to Zambia. What is the odds that he will get off.

  • pages:
  • 1