Illegal miner goes back to warn others

2014-02-18 05:30
(ER24 via Twitter)

(ER24 via Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - One of the illegal miners inside the abandoned mine in Benoni, on the East Rand, surfaced on Monday but went back underground to talk to his colleagues, Ekurhuleni emergency services said.

"One of the illegal miners surfaced this morning but went down to try and convince others to come up when he heard the opening would be closed," rescue technician David Tshabalala said.

"The illegal miners did not want to come up. The total of miners that resurfaced today is 11, bringing the overall number to 22. It is unclear how many are still underground."

Tshabalala said the mineral resources department would close the opened shaft in a bid to stop illegal mining, and gave the miners notice about this on Monday.

"We will give those underground ample time to get out, but will have to close it," he said.

By 18:15, emergency services suspended their operations. Tshabalala said police and mine security would remain overnight. He said the 11 who resurfaced were not injured. They were handed to police after medical checks.

Tshabalala said it was unclear how many illegal miners were still underground because those who resurfaced could not provide them with numbers. Earlier he said some of the illegal miners came halfway up the shaft, but then turned around.

Rescuers could not go down the shaft because it was too dangerous.

"There is an opening and we sent a chain down that we can pull them up with," Tshabalala said.

He said food and water were sent down to the miners on Sunday, but they could be running low.

The illegal miners were found on Sunday when Ekurhuleni metro police were patrolling the area and heard screaming from the abandoned mine.

Gauteng police said 11 illegal miners who were rescued on Sunday had been charged. They would appear in the Benoni Magistrate's Court on Tuesday on charges of illegal mining, Lieutenant Colonel Katlego Mogale said.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    johannesburg  |  mining accident publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Byrne: Israel Folau a 'freak'
England World Cup coaches barred
LIVE: New Zealand v Tonga
Lancaster comes out guns blazing
Traffic Alerts

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.