Inquiry postponed over ill Mr X

2014-07-22 16:35
Marikana protesters (AFP)

Marikana protesters (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria - Proceedings at the Farlam Commission of Inquiry were postponed on Tuesday after police witness, known only as "Mr X", fell ill.

After a prolonged break, Tebogo Mathibedi, for the police, announced the witness could not proceed on Tuesday.

"Mr X was taken to the doctor. He has been booked off for today and tomorrow," Mathibedi said.

Mr X had complained about an upset stomach earlier.

Inquiry chairperson retired judge Ian Farlam said the testimony of Mr X would stand down and a Lonmin executive, Michael da Costa, would give evidence on Wednesday.

Mr X, who cannot be identified to protect his identity, had been testifying via video link from an undisclosed location. He says he fears for his life and is under police witness protection.

Flesh cut from man’s face

He claims he was part of a group of striking Lonmin mineworkers at Marikana, near Rustenburg, North West, who participated in the killing of Lonmin security guards Hassan Fundi and Frans Mabelani on 12 August 2012.

He has detailed in an affidavit how flesh was cut from Fundi's face, how sangomas cut this into smaller pieces, mixed it with blood, and burnt it to ashes for the miners to lick. This was apparently to prepare them for a confrontation with police.

Mr X claims he was also among protesters who shot and hacked two policemen to death on 13 August 2012. Warrant Officers Tsietsi Monene and Sello Leepaku were repeatedly stabbed during the confrontation at Marikana.

The inquiry is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related violence at Lonmin's mining operations in August 2012.

Thirty-four people, mostly striking Lonmin mineworkers, were shot dead in a clash with police, over 70 were wounded, and another 250 arrested on 16 August 2012. Police were apparently trying to disarm and disperse them.

In the preceding week, 10 people, including the two policemen and the two security guards, were killed.

Read more on:    lonmin  |  police  |  ian farlam  |  mahikeng  |  mining unrest  |  marikana inquiry
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
6 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

If you need to initiate a plan of action or network some important information, do it in the morning while the Moon is still in...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.