Interdict, not eviction order, used at Lwandle - sheriff

2014-07-22 15:17
Workers dismantle shacks in Lwandle (Rodger Bosch, AFP)

Workers dismantle shacks in Lwandle (Rodger Bosch, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - An interdict, and not an eviction order, was used to remove people from Sanral-owned land in Lwandle, Cape Town, the Sheriff of the High Court for the region said on Tuesday.

"An eviction order stops but an interdict is an ongoing thing. Until finalised, it remains intact," Deon Burger told an inquiry investigating the evictions on 2 and 3 June.

He was first tasked with executing a Western Cape High Court order granted on 24 January, to remove people from land owned by the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral).

Inquiry head Advocate Denzil Potgieter had said he had not seen any mention of the word "eviction" on the order.

Burger replied the interdict allowed removal of people, structures, and building materials that came onto the land after 24 January.

He met various police officials and Cape Town land invasion, law enforcement and traffic officials on 28 January to discuss the best way to execute the "huge task" ahead of them.

At a meeting a few days later, it was decided that people and structures would be removed on 3 February.

Burger said he met with police, city officials and Sanral's contractor at the Strand police station before the eviction that day and then proceeded to the site.

"Upon their arrival [at the site], the court order was read out in three languages: English, Afrikaans, and Xhosa. After this, eight notice boards were erected. Not all structures could be removed," he said.

Building material and possessions were marked and taken to Sanral-owned land in Gordon's Bay and Somerset West.

On 28 March, Sanral's attorney issued a notice to Burger to remove new structures on the land. Burger said lawyers returned to court to extend the initial court interdict.

"Police could not assist until the general election was over. After the election, police were committed to parliamentary activities," he said.

Alternate arrangements

Public order police suggested on 14 May that alternate arrangements be made because 183 structures had been built on the land.

He said Sanral hired extra security guards to patrol the land and a contractor to build a fence.

A second round of shack removals was discussed at a final meeting at the Faure police station on 26 May.

"We were very concerned about the weather and that's why a detailed weather forecast was downloaded from the internet. It did not show any rain for 2 June and 3 June."

The same parties met at the police station on the morning of 2 June and went to the site, where someone had removed the notice boards.

"We were met by petrol bombs, rocks, and road blocks that were burning," Burger said.

People were warned about the removals with loudspeakers. By 15:30, 80 shacks had been removed.

On 3 June, Burger said they were again greeted by petrol bombs, rocks, and road blocks. He said some people threw petrol bombs into their own structures and removed their belongings.

All shacks were removed by 15:30.

Burger said the councillor in the area, Mbuyiselo Matha, was not given a copy of the order or notice for both evictions.

"At 18:00, I received an e-mail from the instructing attorney to stop all instructions on the court order," Burger said.

He said he was not told the reasons for halting the execution of the interdict.

Had the e-mail not arrived, they would have completed the fencing around the land.

The inquiry, set up by Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu, has until 5 August to conclude its work.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    sanral  |  cape town  |  housing publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Boks: The Beast is back!
Watching Boks win was special
Du Preez: Pollard's drop-goal was vital
SA-born Kruger starts against Boks
Traffic Alerts

It is time to focus on your daily rhythm. Are you putting too much attention on future projects and neglecting the day to more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.