Joburg cops granted bail in rape case
Johannesburg - The two police officers accused of raping a Johannesburg woman were each granted R2 000 bail by the Alexandra Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
The matter was postponed to February 23 next year when a DNA test report will be presented.
The officers are a constable and a sergeant, aged 26 and 43 respectively.
They were arrested last week for allegedly raping a 27-year-old woman in Paulshof, in the north of Johannesburg, on December 2.
Magistrate Syta Prinsloo said the main reason for granting the two bail was that an identity parade was not held for the victim to point out the people who raped her.
"The defence lawyers say the State does not have a strong case here. We take that into consideration because there's presently no proof that the woman was raped by these officers," she said.
"It is not disputable that the woman was raped, but the element of identity is in dispute."
Prinsloo read out the victim's statement made to the police, which she said contradicted the movement report about the vehicle used by the accused on the night of the rape.
"The vehicle tracking device reported that the engine of the officer's vehicle was switched off for only six minutes at the time of the rape. It further showed the officers were in Sandown at that time, far away from the scene of the rape."
However Prinsloo pointed out that it was not the accused's profession that warranted the State granting them bail. She said that could make many people view the case in a bad light.
The officers were represented by their lawyers, Jaya Moodely and Kamesh Maharaj.
The courtroom was packed to capacity and some people were refused entry.