Jub Jub murder trial postponed
Johannesburg - The trial of musician Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye and co-accused Temba Tshabalala was postponed to July 14 in the Protea Magistrate's Court on Monday.
State prosecutor Raymond Mathenjwa asked to have it postponed to Thursday because he was not available until then.
Four teenagers were killed when a car ploughed into a group of schoolchildren, while Maarohanye and Tshabalala were allegedly drag racing their Mini Coopers in Mdlalose Street, Protea North, on March 8 last year.
Maarohanye and Tshabalala face charges of murder, attempted murder and driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
The four who were killed in the accident, all suffered head and neck injuries, forensic pathologist Dr James Blair Mwesigwa told the court. He conducted post mortems on the four bodies on March 9 2010.
He said all the bodies had blood in all three ventricles of the brain, which was an indication that they had sustained massive injuries to the head.
The first body he examined had its skull crushed on the left side. There was also blood oozing from the ears and nose.
Mwesigwa said the examination of the second body revealed that the boy had not died on impact.
"He gasped and groaned before he died."
The boy's skull had also shifted from the spine. He said this was the same thing that happened when someone was hung.
The third body had been partially decapitated. If the impact had been a little bit harder the head would have been completely decapitated, Mwesigwa said. Only the skin was still attaching the head to the body.
The fourth body had multiple injuries. A bone had pierced the boy's heart rupturing it. His liver had also ruptured and his kidneys had failed.
Mwesigwa drew pictures for the court to explain the injuries the bodies had sustained.
He was being cross examined by Maarohanye's defence lawyer Ike Motloung.