News24

Jub Jub wants own cellphone expert

2011-05-27 22:44

Johannesburg - Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye on Friday asked the Protea Magistrate's Court for an expert to analyse the cellphone used to record him and his co-accused Themba Tshabalala allegedly racing.

Maarohanye's lawyer Ike Motloung said he wanted his own expert to analyse the cellphone and memory card. The memory card was still in the possession of an 18-year-old witness testifying against the two men.

Ntokozo Mahlangu, who recorded the video, said she refused to give the defence her memory card as it had private data on it.

State prosecutor Raymond Mathenjwa objected to Motloung's application and asked the magistrate to wait until the police technical support unit (TSU) testified.

He said it was "not safe" to release the cellphone, which was already evidence in the case, until the TSU had testified.

The video's credibility was questioned in court earlier on Friday. Motloung asked Mahlangu whether it was possible to edit a video by adding sounds and changing the speed at which objects moved. She replied it was.

Copy controversy

Motloung was cross-examining Mahlangu, who often shook her head and rolled her eyes, on how she recorded the video and what she saw before and after she did so.

There was controversy over two copies of the video. One of the videos downloaded by the police had been edited to move in slow motion.

When Mahlangu smiled during the cross-examination, Motloung asked her if she was aware of how serious the matter was.

Mahlangu said she was smiling because she was overwhelmed by seeing "Jub-Jub".

"If you continue to smile, I'm going to start asking you if you are lying," Motloung told her.

The five-second video was viewed in court on Friday morning and showed two Mini Coopers pulling off next to one another.

A grey Mini Cooper, said to be Maarohanye's, was in the lead. Tshabalala's one was blue. Mahlangu testified that when she stopped filming, she saw one of the Mini Coopers swerve out of the way of an oncoming car. Once the car had passed, one of the Mini Coopers moved into the other lane again.

Mahlangu said she stopped recording because she ran out of memory on her phone.

Survivor brain damaged

She said she was standing on the corner of Mdlalose Street with her friends when she saw the two cars. Mahlangu said girls were heard shouting on the video when they spotted "Jub-Jub", a "celebrity".

Maarohanye and Tshabalala face charges of murder and attempted murder and driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol. They were allegedly drag-racing when one of their Mini Coopers ploughed into a group of school children on Mdlalose Street, in Protea North, on March 8 last year.

Four children died and two others suffered severe injuries, including brain damage.

Court proceedings were halted on Wednesday when State prosecutor Raymond Mathenjwa was unable to open Mahlangu's phone, which had been blocked because it had not been RICAed and not used for six months.

He told the court on Friday that the police's technical centre unblocked the device.

Maarohanye, who wore a black suit and blue silk tie, sat in the dock making notes while Mahlangu was being cross-examined. Tshabalala sat with his head lowered.

Magistrate Brian Nemabidi adjourned the matter until June 21 and 22 and extended the men's bail.

Comments
  • Anonymous Thinker - 2011-05-27 23:05

    I feel so sorry for the families who have to endure this long drawn out process.

  • T-man - 2011-05-27 23:31

    One thing I do not get about this story..Are these two denying that they commited a crime..or they are just being ignorant and refusing to take responsibility. they should lock them up and throw away the key...nx

      michal.mierzwa - 2011-05-28 08:28

      and if those two claim they are wrongfully accused, who is responsible for driving theirs cars?

  • Tunkisi - 2011-05-28 03:47

    WHATS GOING ON HERE???? These idiots were caught over the alcohol limit and to top it all,,,,snoutted some coke too!!! Shit had it been no one popular, they'll be somebody's b***h by now.

      Ockert - 2011-05-28 09:42

      He will get away with it, because he is probably one of the connected.

  • Niekie - 2011-05-28 05:09

    Jub Jub you piece of trash! Take responsibility for your actions and stop trying to get off! You are a weak rubbish! Not worth the skin your in!

  • John - 2011-05-28 06:51

    It's pathetic! Instead of grabbing at straws why don't you just hurry up and go to jail?

  • ggsteele1 - 2011-05-28 07:37

    Lets forget about the cellphone recording & focus on the murder weapon (car), the accused (driver) & the evidence (toxicology report), if this was any other little boy they'd be doing time already!!

  • JohnMK - 2011-05-28 08:02

    Why do they want their own expert to examine? Not to see if it was tampered with, but to do the tampering. We are not blind.

  • Budweiser - 2011-05-28 09:00

    This is becoming once again, one of those national new South Africa jokes. This is an open and shut case. Every single person who has two healthy braincells rubbing together somewhere knows it, Jub Jub knows it. his co-accused knows it. His lawyer knows it. Yet, the wheels of justice in our new democracy is made of lead when it comes to celebrities and sport personalities and high-ranking government employees. If these two were Caucasian drivers, they would have been wearing their orange for a while already...pushing a long stretch. This case is defying logic under common law. It is such a joke!

  • Gail - 2011-05-28 09:36

    It seems that in the minds of some people like this young girl, the deaths and injuries sustained by 6 people amount to nothing in comparison to being in the same space as a so-called star. Jub-Jub and his friend appear to show no remorse whatsoever and should hang their heads in shame at the destruction of life they caused with it's attendant grief and suffering to the family and friends of those six innocent children.

  • OP - 2011-05-28 10:50

    What worries me is the fact that this whole matter wasn't dealt with properly. Surely police had to have seen this video, surely they had to make sure the video will be shown without "glitches" in the trial. They will get away with it. On the other hand, if this was let's say.... Kurt darren being accused, the police and government would have done everything in their power to lock him up, sadly, this is not the case here, because he is a kwaito star.....

  • omrisho - 2011-05-28 14:35

    just go to jail and do your time, pathetic little kwaito "star"

  • pages:
  • 1