News24

KZN dept rejects DA criticism

2012-08-27 16:16

Durban - Claims that the registration of functioning children's homes in KwaZulu-Natal were being blocked were denied on Monday.

Those experiencing problems with registration did not meet the criteria, the provincial department of social development said.

"It is not that the department has a lot of red tape but we cannot allow people who don't meet the criteria to accommodate children to be registered," said spokeswoman Ncumisa Fandesi.

"The department has a responsibility to protect children, protecting the interest of children comes first."

The Democratic Alliance in the province earlier accused the department of blocking the registration of children's homes it said were already functioning.

"These homes are currently providing a valuable service yet face closure because they remain unregistered," member of the provincial legislature Makhosazana Mdlalose said on Monday.

Mdlalose said those managing the homes claimed they had met a brick wall after submitting the required paperwork with the department.

Fandesi encouraged applicants who had been turned down to find out why this had happened.

"We call on everyone who has been declined not to walk away but to come back to the department to find out why. The department is willing to assist."

KwaZulu-Natal had the highest number of children without both parents, the Witness reported on Monday.

According to the 2009/2010 annual survey for ordinary schools, KwaZulu-Natal had 187 225 double orphans (children without both parents) followed by the Eastern Cape with 92 973.

The latest statistics show there are 481 739 double orphans in South Africa, more than one million pupils without fathers, and 591,865 without mothers.

Comments
  • goyougoodthing - 2012-08-28 17:29

    Is anyone surprised?

  • pages:
  • 1