News24

KZN farm worker burnt in gas explosion

2010-12-17 12:48

Johannesburg - A farm worker was severely injured when a gas cylinder exploded on Friday morning on a farm in Eston, KwaZulu-Natal paramedics said.

"He is still in a very serious condition," spokesperson for ER24, Derrick Banks, said.

Banks said the 43-year-old man sustained 40% burns on his face, back and arms when the cylinder exploded.

Banks said the man was working with the cylinder on the farm near Pietermaritzburg when it exploded at about 10:30.

Paramedics were flagged down on their way to the scene by an oncoming car and found the farm worker loaded in the back, being raced to care.

"Paramedics immediately took over and advanced life support intervention was provided."

The man was taken to the Pietermaritzburg Medi-Clinic for further treatment.

Comments
  • 141mat - 2010-12-17 13:07

    Thoughts and prayers to this mans family and friends. Hope he gets well soon.

      Geo Farmer - 2010-12-17 13:31

      Same Here!!!!

  • Mikemcc - 2010-12-17 13:58

    Very tragic. I wish him a speedy recovery. I wonder what work he was doing with the cylinder and what would have caused it to explode, flashback perhaps? Since he was badly burnt the escaping gas was ignited somehow, most probably by the work he was doing.

      Zara - 2010-12-17 14:14

      Don't you find that News 24 articles leave you asking more questions then they answer?!

  • spiderkzn - 2010-12-17 14:29

    :( My thought is with him for recovery.

  • Mark - 2011-02-04 10:47

    These are LPG (LIQUID) gas cylinders. Sometimes people use them to fuel gas cookers. Due to the height of the bottle, they lie them horizontally. If the gas leaks and ignites, it comes out as a liquid, like a snake. Never lay a bottle horizontally and always use the correct bottle with regulator and burning equipment.

  • pages:
  • 1