News24

KZN flood victims to get R100m

2011-01-27 18:05

Durban - The human settlements department said on Thursday that KwaZulu-Natal's government would receive R100m from central government to assist victims of recent floods.

Minister Tokyo Sexwale said: "The human settlements department has approximately R100m available to assist KwaZulu-Natal flood victims whose homes were damaged by the recent floods.” 

He made the announcement during a visit to Mnambithi, accompanied by the KZN Premier Dr Zweli Mkhize, on Thursday. More than 600 homes in the area had been damaged by floods and needed to be either replaced or completely rebuilt.

Sexwale said: "We cannot ignore the human tragedy that has resulted from the recent rains.

“We as the national government have to stand side by side with the province in recovering from this disaster.”

A special fund already existed to cover damage caused by floods in the province.

“This fund, the KwaZulu-Natal Disaster Relief Grant, was established by national government in 2008/2009 after severe floods hit the province.

“The premier (Mkhize) and I will be putting our heads together as to how government can provide relief.”

Sexwale announced his department would also make available another R120m to KwaZulu-Natal for "rectification" of badly-built houses. They either needed to be repaired or torn down and replaced.

"We were in the unfortunate position earlier this month of having to withdraw R200m from the provincial budget, which should have been spent on the construction of new homes,” he said.

Comments
  • Hein_JHB - 2011-01-28 21:55

    Where can I get a list of names of victims that was killed in the 2011 floods? I just want to find out because I know of someone that worked there this month and I cant get in contact with him on his cell

  • pages:
  • 1