KZN man bitten by puff adder
Johannesburg - A KwaZulu-Natal man is in a critical condition after he was bitten by a puff adder in Thornville, Pietermaritzburg on Thursday morning, paramedics said.
Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said the man was bitten on his right hand while handling the snake.
When paramedics arrived the man's hand was severely swollen. A T-shirt had been tied around his arm in an effort to prevent the venom from spreading to the rest of his body. He was taken to a hospital in Edendale.
Puff adder venom is cytotoxic (tissue destroying).
An untreated bite can cause an edema (extensive watery blood oozing from the puncture wounds) nausea and vomiting, swelling of the lymph nodes, necrosis, gangrene and can often be fatal.