KZN mob killing suspects must wait on bail
Durban - The case of seven men who allegedly killed a sangoma they had falsely accused of kidnapping a child, and injured another man, was postponed in the Chatsworth Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
"The three men involved in the murder case will appear on Monday for a bail application," KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Danelia Veldhuizen said.
The four men who allegedly assaulted security guard Sphamandla Dwala, 22, would appear in court on Friday.
According to Lieutenant Colonel Vincent Mdunge, the men allegedly stoned 37-year-old sangoma, Philisiwe Macoba, to death around 13:00 on December 20, in front of a crowd of 500 people.
They had accused her of involvement in the disappearance of a 2-year-old girl from Welbedacht East, Chatsworth, on December 18.
The child's mother visited Macoba on December 19 after a rumour implicated her in the child's disappearance. Macoba denied any involvement.
On the same day Dwala claimed to be a prophet who could help find the child.
He implicated Macoba, but as he drove around with local residents searching for the child, he jumped from the car and ran away.
On December 20, several local residents visited another sangoma in Inanda, 47km north of Chatsworth.
Macoba was also present. The other sangoma said the child was at the Chatsworth police station. People visited the station around 20:00 that evening but did not find the child.
Dwala was then found severely assaulted. He was taken to Albert Luthuli hospital. Around 13:00 on the same day, Macoba was stoned to death.
On December 24, Chatsworth police were contacted by the child's mother who said her child had been found and was in a place of safety.
A family member had apparently taken the child without telling the mother.
Mdunge said three men were arrested on December 30 after being identified by locals who witnessed the murder.
Four other men were arrested for the attempted murder of Dwala.