Kruger Park lockout condemned
Johannesburg - Trade union Nehawu condemned the Kruger National Park's lockout procedure on Wednesday.
National Education Health and Allied Workers' Union national chairperson Mike Shingange said the decision to lockout striking workers was a contravention of the Labour Relations Act.
"Nehawu condemns the reckless and shoddy treatment of striking workers by the management of the Kruger National Park [KNP]."
Workers were still on strike at the KNP over pay disparities and other labour issues. The strike started on 3 February.
Shingange called on KNP management to reopen negotiations in order to resolve the issues.
He said it was unacceptable that the workers could be allowed to go on an indefinite strike in modern South Africa without any intervention from the employer.
"The employer has so far failed to prove to the workers that there is a will and a plan to resolve the strike on their side."
SA National Parks spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli said less than 90 workers were still on strike in the northern part of the park on Wednesday.
"The park is fully operational and the lockout procedure is still implemented."
He said most of the workers were back at work.
Striking workers were not allowed at KNP facilities until they had resumed their duties, he said.