Last of DRC plotters acquitted in SA court

2015-02-21 22:08
A supporter wrapped in a DRC flag stands outside the court in Pretoria, South Africa. (AP)

A supporter wrapped in a DRC flag stands outside the court in Pretoria, South Africa. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria - The last of a group of Congolese nationals accused of plotting to assassinate Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila were acquitted in a South African court, a defence lawyer and media reported on Saturday.

Charges against 15 of the 20 men were dropped in November on the recommendation of the prosecution, over two years after their arrests.

This week the final four men behind bars were freed, with the fifth one, Etienne Kabila, the alleged ringleader of the plot and self-professed half-brother of Kabila, having been previously released on bail.

No clear evidence

"There is no clear evidence of their intention to commit the alleged crimes," said North Gauteng High Court judge Billy Mothle in Friday's ruling, according to the Pretoria News.

Police had arrested the suspects in February 2013, six months after an agent infiltrated their group. He filmed several meetings and exchanged e-mails over the alleged preparation for the coup.

But the defendants claimed they were the victims of a conspiracy between Kinshasa and the South African police.

It was a defence the judge agreed with.

"They [the police] used deceit and trickery to entice them to develop a plan that clearly didn't exist," Mothle said according to the newspaper.

Vulnerable

The lawyer representing the men said the case exposed the vulnerability of refugees to economic exploitation.

"The court found that the state acted contrary to the constitution by encouraging the committing of a crime," Thesigan Pillay told AFP. "They exploited their economic vulnerability by offering them huge amounts of money to take part in a coup."

And while "ecstatic" with the outcome, Pillay said his clients had lost two years of their lives.

"Their family lives have been shattered," he said, adding that they were now considering opening a civil case against the police.

Read more on:    joseph kabila  |  pretoria  |  drc

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
16 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.