News24

Late applications 'disrupt schools'

2012-01-18 16:19

Johannesburg - Late applications for places in Gauteng schools must be submitted to the district education offices to avoid disruptions at schools, the Gauteng education department said as schools reopened on Wednesday.

"Don't go to the school, it's going to disrupt schooling. Go to district offices," said the province's education spokesperson Charles Phahlane.

Applications for places for 2012 took place between August 1 and September 30, but at the start of school this year parents who had moved or changed jobs were queuing for places.

"This is a concern for us," he said.

Twelve out of 13 new schools opened as planned on Wednesday with the opening of the 13th, in Bronkhorstspruit, delayed by rain damage, he said.

Late registrations

The re-opening of some public schools in Soweto on Wednesday was characterised by fewer late registrations, said teachers.

"We have had very few late registrations this year compared to the other years," said Sizakele Dube, principal of the Khuthala Primary School in Protea North.

It had registered 427 pupils by the time the administration side of the school opened on Monday.

Those parents and guardians trying to register pupils on Wednesday had encountered unforeseen circumstances such as a sudden move of house or the death of parent who lived with the children outside the township.

At Rebone Primary School, in Naledi, most children had been registered in September, said teacher Lizzy Mogami. It had registered 424 children by Wednesday.

Only a few had simply arrived at the school on Wednesday, she said.



Comments
  • Sharon - 2012-01-18 17:21

    Yup, that goes to the old expression: If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done!

  • Andries - 2012-01-18 18:26

    So this article is about Science and Technology? Could have fooled me..

  • pages:
  • 1