MEC to brief king on circumcision

2010-11-03 18:12

Durban - KwaZulu-Natal's health MEC will report to Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini on the progress of circumcision in the province, the department said on Wednesday.

“The MEC for health, Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo, will present a progress report on male circumcision to his majesty King Goodwill Zwelithini,” Dhlomo’s spokesperson Chris Maxon said.

The meeting was scheduled to take place on Friday at the Durban city hall and would be attended by traditional leaders, mayors and parliamentarians. In December last year the king announced the need to revive the custom of male circumcision.

About 10 000 men and boys were circumcised in the province in hospitals, clinics and circumcision camps during winter. The camps were held in schools, community halls, universities and prisons.

“There is strong evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV transmission. We have always emphasised that it does not provide complete protection against HIV.”

Maxon said male circumcision was partial protection against HIV. It should be promoted in combination with other protective methods such as condom use and reducing the number of sexual partners.