MEC warns taxi operators after violence
Cape Town - All taxi operations will shut down in Hout Bay if violence in the area continues, Western Cape Transport and Public Works MEC Robin Carlisle said on Wednesday.
"We will never tolerate violence as a means to gaining access to taxi routes anywhere in Cape Town, or the province," Carlisle said.
"If there is further violence, we will consider a total shutdown of all taxi operations in Hout Bay."
Carlisle's comments come after a taxi driver was stabbed during an altercation, apparently between legal and illegal taxi operators from Hout Bay.
Commuters in the area were left stranded on Wednesday morning after the eruption of violence in the area.
Carlisle said there were more than 100 operating licences for the Hout Bay to Cape Town route, which involved two taxi associations. The department was not going to issue any more.
"This route forms part of Phase One A of the City of Cape Town’s integrated rapid transit project, meaning that in terms of the relevant legislation, there is a moratorium on the granting of more operating licences for the route," he said.
The department had contacted its colleagues in law enforcement, who had assured they would clamp down on illegal operators and the small number of taxi industry members who wanted to use violence to achieve their aims.
"The taxi industry in Cape Town has had 20 death-free months, probably for the first time in the past 20 years, and we will not allow anyone to disrupt this peace."
Carlisle said his office had been assured by the SA Taxi Council in the province of its full support.