Malema: Down with Helen Zille
Cape Town - ANC Youth League president Julius Malema on Friday encouraged supporters outside the Western Cape High Court to "bring down Helen Zille" and vote the ANC into power in the city.
"Down with Helen Zille. Away with Helen Zille. Viva ANC, Viva.
"Spread the message. We are here today to bring down Helen Zille. Convince everybody here to vote for the ANC," Malema said.
He was addressing some 70 people shortly after judgment was handed down in the so-called open-toilet saga in Khayelitsha.
The court ruled that the City of Cape Town had violated the dignity of residents there and ordered the city to enclose 1 000 toilets in Makhaza, Khayelitsha.
Malema: ANC must win
Judge Nathan Erasmus also found that police failed to comply with a court order to investigate vandalism of open air toilets.
Malema said the judgment indicated that the ANC had won.
He said the people of Cape Town must enclose the toilets because "Helen Zille and Cape Town will not adhere to the judgment".
Voting for the ANC and ensuring that party candidate Tony Ehrenreich became mayor would ensure that the people of Cape Town had their dignity restored, he said.
The people who had gathered outside the court since 10:30 awaiting the judgment, danced and cheered as Malema addressed them.
Wearing "Vote ANC" t-shirts bearing President Jacob Zuma's face, the protesters did not want to speak to media, except to say they were from Khayelitsha.
One of them carried a placard saying: "Helen Zille go to hell, rest in shit", referring to the leader of the Democratic Alliance.
Others carried small portable toilets. One woman lifted her skirt up and sat on the toilet posing for photographs.
Complaint lodged with SAHRC
Curious tourists gathered around, taking photographs.
Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula was also at the court.
The DA-led City of Cape Town was accused of violating residents' right to human dignity after 51 toilets were erected without enclosures in Makhaza, Khayelitsha in December 2009.
The ANCYL, on behalf of community members, lodged a complaint about the open toilets with the SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) in January last year.
The SAHRC recommended to the City that it reinstall the 51 toilets, but the city appealed against the SAHRC finding.
This was when the ANCYL decided to launch a court application on behalf of the residents.