Man held over 2 diamonds worth R12m
Johannesburg - A 51-year-old man who allegedly stole two uncut diamonds worth R12m has been arrested at his home in Port Elizabeth and the stones recovered, Eastern Cape police said on Thursday.
Police had been investigating the theft of the diamonds, which took place at the King Edward Hotel in the city in September last year, Captain Ernest Sigobe said.
Their investigations led them to a home in Cradock Place, Algoa Park, where they arrested the man on Wednesday evening.
"The 51-year-old will be charged with theft of a diamond that was stolen from a private person in a Port Elizabeth hotel in September 2010," Sigobe said.
He had been charged with theft and money laundering and would appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Monday.